I’m proud to announce a new Minbian version supporting the latest Raspberry Pi 3.
The features of this new releases are unchanged compared to the previous version.
You can check here for the new features list, while you can download the compressed image via sourceforge or via BitTorrent.
Please check the “Rpi3 HowTo” on how to enable wifi and bluetooth on Rpi3 as they are not enabled by default.
I woud like to thanx all people supporting and using Minbian: we reached over 100.000 total downloads from 176 different countries! Thanx, thanx and again thanx!
I’m very happy that my work could help spreading this incredible piece of technology! I would also like to dedicate this work to the person who inspires me every day and that is the most important person in my life: my beloved daughter Satya – Yes, even nerds have feelings 🙂
P.S.: Minbian is a voluntary project. Please consider to DONATE to contribute to this project. Thanx
Minibian “Jessie” release is finally here! This new release corrects many important bugs and is now based on the new official Raspbian “Jessie”.
Obviusly the image is compatibile (and tested) with the latest Rpi 2B as with the older B and B+.
You can check here for the new features list, while you can download the compressed image following this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/minibian/files/2015-11-12-jessie-minibian.tar.gz/download
I would also like to thank you for all the valuable suggestions you sent via blog comments!
Minibian 4th release is out! This new release corrects some minor bugs and supports the new Raspbbery Pi 2 with updated firmware (kernel 3.18.7+ #755) and system based on official Raspbian repositories.
The release is backward compatible with RPi B and RPi B+.
I did some benchmark tests on RPi B+ and RPi 2 and i can confirm that the CPU speed is 6x faster than older version.
You can check here for the features list, while you can download the compressed image following this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/minibian/files/2015-02-18-wheezy-minibian.tar.gz/download
Minibian 3rd release is out! This new release comes with improved features and support for the new Raspberry Pi B+ with updated firmware (kernel 3.12.28+ #709) and system based on official Raspbian repositories. Take a loke here to discover all the new features of this release. This image was obtained using the new Raspbian unattended netinstaller with many post-install customizations in order to obtain a even smaller and more functional release. You can download the compressed image, following this link at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/minibian/files/2014-11-24-wheezy-minibian.tar.gz/download
Minibian 2nd release is out!
Basically it has the same features of the previous release with updated firmware (kernel 3.6.11+ #538) and system based on official Raspbian updates.
So if you are going to start with a new image, this is the the most recent.
You can download this image, following this link at sourceforge:
My first release is out.
The image was obtainted using Raspbian Installer with the following options:
- Language: English
- Country: United Kingdom
- Keyboard Layout: British English
- Mirror archive: mirrordirector.raspbian.org
- Directory: /raspbian/
- Partiton: removed swap partition and created new ext4 partition (850Mb size)
- Software to install: Standard system utilities and SSH Server
Then some other offline steps were taken on SD Card in order to optimize system:
- Added gpu_mem=16 options in /boot/config.txt for setting GPU memory size
- Added elevator=deadline option in /boot/cmdline.txt for setting right disk scheduler
- Corrected mount point in /boot/cmdline.txt (after swap partition removing the kernel couldn’t find mount point)
- Added noatime,nodiratime,commit=120 options in /etc/fstab for better SD Card performance and reliability
- Added –noclear option in /etc/inittab in order to avoid screen clean at boot
- Added ip address showing script in /etc/rc.local
- Removed MAC address in udev rules in order to work with different RPI hardware
- Added daily scheduled fstrim command for /
- Zeroed free space in /boot and in / for better image compressing
- Created and compressed image
The MINIBIAN main features are indicated here.
So, those are the steps i made for creating this release. As you can see basically this is the same kernel and binary of official image, but quite smaller and with better performance.
You can download this image, following this link at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/minibian/files/2013-07-05-wheezy-minibian.tar.gz/download